Let’s face it, we all have a bit of naughty and nice inside each and every one of us, and this treat will satisfy either of those urges. For the days when you’re feeling fun but tame, make this as a simple, sweet jell-o cup and share with the kids.
And for those “other” days when you’re feeling a bit more fun and frisky, splash in some vodka (or tequila!), shoot these babies back, and unwind.
You can bring these to a holiday party or devour them at home on Christmas Eve with the kiddos. Turn on a holiday movie, pop some popcorn, make a night of it. Personally, I feel these pair nicely with the movie Elf. Here’s the recipe, courtesy of Delish.com:
Naughty or Nice Jell-o Shots
A festive holiday treat that can be made naughty or nice!
Tip: Enjoy as a yummy holiday treat when feeling nice, then add a splash of vodka when you unleash your naughty side.
- 2 Tbl lime juice
- 1/4 c. red and green sanding sugar
- 1 c. water (for lime layer)
- 1 packet lime jell-o mix (3 oz)
- 4 oz. vodka (or tequila!), chilled
- 2 c. water, divided (for strawberry layer), place 1 c. in fridge to chill
- 1 packet strawberry jell-o mix
- For the lime-sugar rim: Dip the rim of each shot glass or cup into the lime juice, then press it into the sanding sugar to fully coat it. Set cups aside to dry.
- Create the lime layer: Bring one cup of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Once it’s bubbling, stir in the packet of lime Jell-o mix, stirring until it’s dissolved completely. Turn off the heat.
- When you’re feeling Naughty (otherwise, proceed to Step 4): Pour in 4 oz. of cold vodka, tequila, or your preferred alcohol (champagne, maybe?). Mixing until thoroughly combined. Pour into a large measuring cup, small pitcher or another glass so it’s easier to pour into the shot glasses.
- Pour the lime Jell-o mixture into each of the cups or shot glasses, filling them all 2/3s of the way up. Place the cups or shot glasses into the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes to set. (It’s okay if they’re not fully set, but they can’t be totally liquid when you start the next step).
- For the strawberry Jell-o layer: Boil 1 c. water in a medium saucepan. Once it’s bubbling, add the strawberry Jell-o mix, stirring until completely dissolved. Turn off the heat, then add 1 c. cold water, stirring until combined.
- Pour the Jell-o into a measuring cup, or another easy-to-pour vessel, and pour the Jell-o into each cup or shot glass, filling it just below the sanding sugar rim. (If the Jell-o hits the sugar rim, it will start melting the rim, ruining your beautiful work).
- Place the Jell-o shots in the fridge for at least 1 hour to set. Serve cold.
And Merry Christmas, from my silly family to yours!