With all of the Halloween office parties and neighborhood gatherings lined up, I thought today would be a great day to share a fun treat, so you can focus more on your clever costume design than on what to bring to the festivities. These fun treats are both tasty and super easy to make. I used BooBerry and Cocoa Krispies in these treats, and my nieces agreed that the Cocoa Krispies were their absolute fave. Of course, who doesn’t like a classic?
But you can use most cereals here: Krispies, Fruity Pebbles, a variety of flakes, etc. Just keep in mind how you want your monsters to look in the end. Trix could be fun!
If you’re wondering where to find the eye candy and candy shreds, I found them at Hobby Lobby. Buy a variety of eye sizes and shred colors to help you create really bright, fun monsters.
Enjoy! And feel free to share your own creations below!
Halloween Monster Treats
Servings: 12Time: 1 hour Difficulty: easy
Tasty monster treats for Halloween fun.
Cereal used: BooBerry and Cocoa Krispies
Tip: Makes great client or colleague gifts when propped on a lollipop stick and wrapped individually in treat bags and tied with string.
- 4.5 Tbl butter
- 1 bag of mini marshmallows (16oz bag)
- 8 cups of BooBerry or Cocoa Krispies
- White icing (15oz container)
- Candy Eyes Treat Toppers (2.9 oz), select assorted sizes
- Candy Shreds (3.75 oz), select a variety of colors
- Decorating Gel, (1.5 oz tube) in black
- food coloring, primary colors
Less-Fuss Microwave Method:
- Prep a 9×13 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray, including all sides, set aside.
- Add butter and marshmallows to a large microwave-safe bowl, and heat for 30-second increments up to 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cereal to bowl and mix until cereal is evenly coated.
- Press firmly into the 9×13 pan, using the back of a greased spoon or your fingers, if needed.
- Let them rest for about 30 minutes or so.
- Cut into squares and dress them up! (see instructions below)
Tip: With cereals like BooBerry, you may have to play with the cereal-to-marshmallow ratio, and adjust to your family’s taste.
Dressing Your Monsters:
- Separate creamy white icing into two microwave-safe bowls.
- Heat in 30-second increments until icing is thinned and smooth.
- Once thinned, add drops of food coloring to each bowl and stir until desired color is reached. (I mixed blue and red to get a delectable lavender).
- Once the treats have set, dip one end of each square into a fun icing color.
- Add candy shreds. (Mix the colors to add some fun!)
- Use black pen icing to draw a mouth and to paste eyes in place. (Mix eye sizes and add multiple. Have fun with this!)
- Let treats rest for another 15-30 minutes
- Take a bite and enjoy!